Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Captive In 3D Avatar World

A few short months ago, I was a willing captive in the 3-D avatar chat and instant messenger world. I don’t know when it happened but I had gotten hooked and each time I tried to escape, they just kept pulling me back in. Honestly, at some point I didn’t know how or even if I really wanted to escape. To make matters worst, I didn’t just reside in one avatar world, I resided in two.

On Zwinky.com I made over 50 friends nationwide in a relatively short period of time, and what is there to do in this world? Well, you can chit chat about this and that. Quite a bit of the conversations on this site are relatively for the younger crowd, but if you select your buddies wisely you are able to chat with avatars in your age range.

One of the things that kept me coming back was the wardrobe and furnishings you’re able to obtain from the credits you earn. Although you are able to purchase Zbucks, as they’re called, I preferred to earn mine by visiting different areas on the site such as the park, which is always crowded or by playing games ‘mall dash’ was one of my favorites.

On the other hand, on IMVU.com the 3-D avatar world is quite a different playing field. Within the first couple of days I managed to acquire seven buddies from all around the world, including Trinidad and Brazil. Compared to Zwinky, the avatars in IMVU world are much more animated, and unlike Zwinky the IMVU avatars are able to sit, swim, jump, kick, dance, hug, etc. and are able to interact with other avatars in varies 3-D scenes and realistic looking rooms while they chat. And of course there are rooms for adults only (must verify you’re 21 or over), but I found that some of the interactions in certain areas were a bit brazen to say the least; therefore I opted not to visit those areas.

IMVU 3-D avatar world of chat can also become a very addictive dress up game with so many outfits to choose from, not to mention you have the opportunity to showcase your own creative designs. You can play music during your chats from tracks you select to include in your mix. In your inventory you have hair, make-up, eyes, eyebrows, clothes, pets, actions, and more to choose from. Although my avatar came equipped with a fully furnished modern penthouse, I choose to purchase (using credits) a huge villa, once I furnished it, I invited guests over to show it off, and they loved my newly acquired showplace.

If you’re ever in need of something to do and somewhere (virtually) to go, check out IMVU.com or any one of the many available virtual-world websites. You may find yourself captive in/at a TV studio, cruise club, bowling, police department, airline, etc. There are so many rooms to explore and approximately 50,000 people online at any given time to hang out and have fun with. Be forewarned, the avatar world can become addictive.

Just prior to this post I learned of another virtual world called second life where there’s a community called ‘story mountain center’ it’s a place for Writers. I’ll be certain to check this website out, after all, it may turn out to be a great Writer’s tool. (Wink, wink)

No comments: