Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lush Life


Upon hearing that President Obama would be covering a substantial amount of literary ground while vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard; I decided to choose one of the five selections on the President’s reading list. I chose Richard Prices’ Lush Life, and I must say I am enjoying it more than I’d initially anticipated. Price’s masterful dialogue is captivating and the story riveting. This 455 pager is a must read.

And if you really want to become immersed, I suggest utilizing Audible.com or another audio-book source to listen while following along in the book. The narrator, Bobby Cannavale used by audible.com for Lush Life is shamelessly by far the most excellent audio match for the author’s text. His expertise almost makes you want to forgo the read, but don’t, because this book is quite worthy of the read. Regardless of which format you decide to choose, just be certain to explore this ‘tale of two lower east sides: one a high-priced bohemia, te other a home to hardship, its residents pushed to the edges of their time-honored turf.’

No comments: